Thursday, September 12, 2013

Unexpected Con for Rio: Air Pollution

I really want to write about the amazing 150-year-old fazenda where we spent last weekend, but before I do, I have to report the appalling air quality here.  In the past decade as the economy in Brazil has exploded, people are buying cars. And that means pollution. I first noticed the smog hanging over Rio when we went to take the boat from Ilha do Governador to Centro last week. I sort of tried to mentally shrug it off, telling myself maybe it was just a particularly bad day. But, no.

After being here for 2 weeks, I can confirm that it is bad. Really bad.

If I'm in traffic -- even in a car with A/C going full boar -- I feel the irritation in my nose, mouth and throat. Rio is rated about on par with Los Angeles for ozone, but somehow it seems worse here. Maybe cause traffic has increased so much. Ahhh, the price of prosperity.

OK, next post is fazenda photos!!

No comments:

Post a Comment